Voices for Safety Recommends Those are MY Private Parts
What is Voices for Safety?
Voices for Safety is a primary child abuse and neglect prevention program offered to kindergarten and preschool children and their caregivers. It was designed to keep children safe by building resilience and reducing risk. The Voices for Safety program can be administered in schools or other child serving organizations and was developed in partnership with Head Start parents, teachers and administrators.
Every day, 5 children die because of abuse and over 3 million reports of child abuse are made annually in the U.S. alone. Prevention is the best hope for reducing child abuse and neglect and improving the lives of children and families. Through ongoing use and feedback, Voices will continue to evolve. Please, use your voice to help keep all children safe in your community.
Child Abuse Statistics
- Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
- Of the perpetrators who were parents, more than 80 percent (84.2%) were the biological parent of the victim.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 was $104 billion.
In just 12 pages of rhyme, the book: gives parents a great starting point for having important, candid discussions with their children about recognizing and preventing sexual abuse; names the most common perpetrators of sexual abuse in clear, kid friendly language; informs children about the tactics perpetrators use to trick children; equips children with an action plan for telling trusted adults about abuse; empowers children to say “no” and to get righteously angry if abuse happens